The main drawback is that there is a significant file size overhead—about the size of a typical Chromium browser. So, don't expect a slim application when it's based on Electron.
How to Extract Electron FilesIt is usually packed in .exe extension, and can be easily extracted with 7-Zip.
Let's do an example this time with Boostnote installer, boostnote-win-0.8.19.exe.
- Open the installer with 7-Zip "Open archive",
- This is a typical Electron installer. The most important one is the .nupkg package, usually the one with the biggest size, in this example boost-0.8.19-full.nupkg,
- Let's "Open inside" boost-0.8.19-full.nupkg,
- Browse into lib folder and we'll find our bounty, net45 folder,
- As you can see here, the net45 folder contains the main application binaries. Extract the whole net45 folder then rename it,
Important: Do not just "Select All" the net45 folder contents and extract them. We found out in Discord for example, some of the extracted files might corrupt.